In April 2019, the Alliance for Sustainable Building Products launched a new membership group focusing on ‘Plastics in Construction’.
This followed the ASBP's 3rd annual Healthy Buildings Conference and Expo where we sought to explore the issues and impacts of plastic waste and pollution on our planet, and identify possible solutions and alternatives to help tackle the over-use of plastics within the construction industry.
The group is output-oriented, bringing together stakeholders from across the construction value chain to learn collaboratively and address plastics in construction issues, both in products and packaging.
The group does not seek to advocate a completely ‘plastic-free’ built environment. We recognise that plastics have useful applications within the construction industry but have become over-used. We support a reduction in the unnecessary use of plastics and encourage the development and adoption of suitable alternative materials.
WAYS OF WORKING
- We are collaborative (amongst members and with other organisations working in the space – we don’t want to “reinvent the wheel”).
- We seek to bring clarity and transparency on the issues around plastics in construction.
- We aim to take a global, whole-value-chain approach.
- We are focused on creating tangible outcomes.
- We aim to engage stakeholders and recognise the power of story-telling on the emotive issue of plastics.
- Introductory guide - The issues and challenges - what we already know, who's doing what and identify any gaps in knowledge. The solutions - policy and business drivers, forward-thinking initiatives and innovation.
- Stakeholder mapping exercise - Open source online map of initiatives and information sources.
- Seminars - Find out more about the group and speak to our members.
- Dragons' Den - A chance for innovators to pitch their solutions and alternatives to our members and partners.
- Site visits - Gain an appreciation of plastic usage first hand from site visits to manufacturing plants and construction sites.
- Pilot projects - Trial possible solutions and innovative alternatives.
CHALLENGES AND SOLUTIONS
Prior to our first group meeting we asked the group members and partners to describe any challenges facing their organisation in regards to reducing their use of plastics, and to highlight any initiatives, research and development they are undertaking to provide solutions.
Our forthcoming introductory guide will explore these in further detail but you can check out some highlights today in the news slider.
- Join the group as a member - Share learning, collaborate and help make a difference. Contact Richard Broad at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
- Hear about our latest activities - Find out more about the group and its members important work. We're speaking next in the Sustainability Summit at London Build which takes places on 27th November 2019.
- Join the conversation - Follow us on Twitter at @asbp_uk and tweet using the hashtag #plasticsinconstruction.