Plastic is prevalent throughout the construction industry with research suggesting that every year the UK produces 55,000 tonnes of plastic waste from construction projects – less than half of which is recycled. During Plastic Free July, we discoverd more on latest research, initiatives, and solutions to reduce, reuse and recycle plastics in the construction industry. We also heard from experts researching in how this plastic is affecting our health, wellbeing and natural environment. Our speakers evidenced that the time to act is NOW, and the summit will offer solutions and opportunities to start making the steps to start to reduce the plastic tide.
Launched in April 2019, the ASBP Reducing Plastics in Construction Group is a cross-sector membership group, bringing together stakeholders from across the construction value chain to learn collaboratively and address plastics in construction issues, both in products and packaging.
- Welcome – Simon Corbey, Director, ASBP
- What are our group members doing to tackle the plastics problem?
- The health risks of plastic piping in construction – Paul Hagar, Executive Director, Safe Piping Matters
- How Velux eliminated plastic packaging – Henrik Vollesen Sørensen, Senior Project Manager, Technical Development, Velux
- Plastics in policy – Louisa Goodfellow, Policy Advisor, Ecosurety
- Zero Avoidable Packaging waste in construction – Project overview and Toolkit Introduction – Katherine Adams, Technical Director, ASBP
- Resources to help plastic reduction – Larry Tate, Projects and Communications Coordinator, ASBP
- Q&A and panel discussion