Join ASBP and The Green Register for an afternoon of talks as we discuss the impacts of plastics in the construction industry; discuss the importance of measuring the performance of healthy buildings; and receive updates on the latest embodied carbon and circular economy research and policy.
Programme and Presentations
(To download a presentation, please click on the presentation title)
13:30 Welcome and introduction from the Chairs – Lucy Pedler, Director, The Green Register and Simon Corbey, Associate Director, ASBP
13:40 Reducing plastic in the built environment – Simon Corbey, Associate Director, ASBP
- Plastics in construction – what are the numbers for single use plastic and construction products?
- What are the impacts of plastics from cradle to grave?
- Does it make carbon/ cost sense to reduce the amount of plastic going into our buildings?
14:00 Plastic pollution and its effects on UK beaches, seas and wildlife – Claire Wallerstein, Rame Peninsula Beach Care
- Plastic construction materials polluting UK seas and beaches
- The micro-sized building blocks of construction industry plastics – why do so many of them end up in seabirds and fish?
- The hidden additives in construction industry plastics and their potential to cause long-term harm to human health and the environment
14:20 The importance of Post Occupancy Evaluation – Hester Brough, Project Architect, Feilden Clegg Bradley Studios
- The importance that post occupancy evaluation plays in delivering buildings that are healthy and happy places to occupy
- POE offers the opportunity to review, fine tune and feedback on our buildings
- Case study – the Dyson Centre for Neonatal Care, Bath
14:40 Post Occupancy Evaluation and strategies for delivering healthy buildings – Elly Deacon, Architype
- Our strategies for delivering healthy buildings and how these have adapted through critical evaluation of user comfort and building performance in use.
- Taking this research to the next level to inform further improvements to occupant health.
- A healthy community – a 100% affordable community housing scheme in Lockleaze, Bristol
15:30 A carbon portrait of construction – Jannik Giesekam, Research Fellow, University of Leeds and CIE-MAP
- An update on progress in reducing carbon emissions from the UK built environment
- A review of the carbon targets set by UK construction firms
- An overview of guidance and best practice on reducing whole life carbon on construction projects
15:50 An update on the ICE database – Craig Jones, Director, Circular Ecology
- ICE database background and context
- Insights into the new version of the ICE database – ICE V3.0
- Next steps – Timeline going forward
16:10 The circular economy in construction – Katherine Adams, Research Associate, ASBP
- A view on the most beneficial circular economy strategies for the many different types of products and buildings
- What are the critical success factors for embedding a circular economy
- How do we move from rhetoric to practice
16:30 Discussion: How to reduce plastic in the built environment?
- The Green Register and ASBP members – £65.00
- Non-members – £99.00
- BOOK 3 PLACES FOR THE PRICE OF 2! – Book your places online as normal and we will deduct the cost of the 3rd place once your booking is received. This offer may not be used in conjunction with other offers.
This event has now passed.
This event is co-hosted with The Green Register.
Address: Create Centre, Smeaton Road, Bristol, BS1 6XN