Discover how the new RICS Whole Life Carbon Assessment (WLCA), which is currently open for consultation, deals with what’s on site now and biogenic products and carbon sequestration. We’ll also discuss if the French system of Dynamic LCA might be suitable. ASBP’s Director Simon Corbey was joined by Simon Sturgis, a main author of the guidance, to answer your questions before the consultation closes April 18th 2023.
About the Guidance
The RICS Whole Life Carbon Assessment (WLCA) is set to become the leading standard for carbon measurement in the built environment. The second edition builds upon the success of the existing RICS WLCA and will establish a global benchmark for consistent carbon measurement at all project stages.
Created by RICS in consultation with internationally-recognised professional bodies, the main authors are ASBP member Simon Sturgis, Targeting Zero and ASBP board member, Jane Anderson, Construction LCA. The WLCA is designed to be accessible, reliable and promote long-term thinking by encouraging reuse, recycling, and redevelopment. Giving visibility to the carbon cost of different design choices, the standard aims to help professionals manage carbon budgets, reduce lifetime emissions and build a net-zero future for construction.
The Guidance brings in a new module that accounts for what is currently on the site and it is hoped that this will encourage more refurbishment and reuse. But how does the Guidance deal with biogenic products and carbon sequestration?
- The new module in A5 that accounts for what is currently on the site and it is hoped that this will encourage more refurbishment and reuse.
- Biogenic products and carbon sequestration.
- Dynamic life cycle analysis (LCA) including thoughts on the French system.
See more about the RICS Whole Life Carbon Assessment (WLCA) and the consultation on the RICS website here.
- 13:00 – Welcome, Simon Corbey, ASBP
- 13:05 – An overview of the key topics listed above, Simon Sturgis, Main Author, WLCA Guidance
- 13:20 – Q&A, Simon Sturgis, Main Author, WLCA Guidance
- 14:00 – Close